Yakima, WASH. - Against all odds, ten puppies are still alive.
"We brought them in, we bathed them, we treated the ringworm. A couple weeks after we had them here they came down with Parvo," said Beth Swan, a volunteer at Yakima Valley Pet Rescue.
Parvo is a deadly virus, especially for dogs under a year old. It's spread through feces and can linger on the dog's hair and feet. Parvo is also highly contagious.
Volunteers said you can spread the virus just by touching other dogs or by carrying it on the bottoms of your shoes. That's why volunteers at Yakima Valley Pet Rescue are not taking it lightly.
The puppies are quarantined and anyone who enters has to be wearing protective gear that's immediately bleached. This kind of treatment has cost the non-profit thousands of dollars in medical bills.
"It hurts, it hurts but we will continue doing it as long as there's a need," said Bev Mitchell, who volunteers many hours at the pet rescue.
And this is a need they don't see ending anytime soon.
"It's everybody's problem. Yakima Valley is loaded with so many stray dogs and so many stray cats and it is everybody's problem. The community needs to come together," Mitchell said.
But thanks to one rescue organization these puppies have a second chance, unlike many other strays.
"They're going to go to their forever home, and they're going to give all the love and affection that anyone would ever want as soon as they're out of quarantine," Swan said.
Yakima Valley Pet Rescue is completely run by volunteers and they rely on monetary or animal food donations. If you'd like to donate or volunteer your time as a pet foster parent visit their website.
For more information, click here.