Firefighters Blame Freezer Wiring for Yakima Garage Fire
January 3, 2012 -
YAKIMA, Wash. - Yakima County Firefighters say the wiring of a freezer is to blame for a garage fire on Wednesday night.
Around 5 o'clock, more than 20 firefighters went to a house on the 4700 block of Branch Road to find an attached garage on fire, spreading to the home's attic and living area. Firefighters contained the flames to the garage and attic, but smoke damaged most of the home.
Firefighters say the Dragoo family wasn't home when the fire started. They think the blaze sparked in or around the wiring or compressor of an upright freezer. Firefighters estimate the damages at $35,000.